Wednesday 4 July 2012

Japandroids - For The Love of Ivy



I realise I'm technically a day late with this post. The last two were both posted on a Tuesday. However, it's not like anyone actually reads this anyway.

I know Japandroids aren't  necessarily the most well know band in the world, so here's a little back story on them. (copy & pasted from Wikipedia)

"Japandroids is a Canadian rock duo from VancouverBritish Columbia.[2] The group consists of Brian King (guitar, vocals) and David Prowse (drums, vocals). Formed in 2006, Japandroids rose to prominence in 2009 following the release of their debut album Post-Nothing. The group toured extensively throughout 2009–2010, earning praise for their energetic live performances."

So let's get this review underway. First off, listening to the entire album makes me really want to see them live. I'm sure that the power that they would hit you with would be similar to standing in front of a jet engine at full blast.

All of the tracks on the album are more or less what would likely be considered "anthem-type" song style. A fairly short verse followed by a shout along chorus. That's not an insult though, don't get it twisted. This isn't a record that you put on when you want to relax. Everything is high energy and deserves to be played loud. It's more suited for a party with friends on a long weekend. Come to think of it, the album even opens and closes with the sound of fireworks going off. So happy Canada Day/Independence Day to you.

I was looking online, and some people are saying that this is just an angst filled album with loud guitars. Which is fair I suppose. Honestly though, I like it. In a musical landscape full of irony and dishonesty, it's nice to hear a band that seems to actually believe what they're singing about.

The song I decided to take from the album was "For The Love of Ivy", which is actually a cover song. Have fun with it, this is one of the slower songs.

I have to think that if you took The Black Keys and removed the blues and replaced it with punk, you would get Japandroids.

I guess I need to give it a rating. I need to come up with a new system. Metacritic gave it 85/100. I wouldn't go quite that high. Maybe an 80? Which translates to my old system as a 4/5 stars.

So ya. I'll stick with 80/100.

Why do I keep doing this? I suck at it.

Remember to play it loud.




Buy "Celebration Rock" here:

http://www.polyvinylrecords.com/store/index.php?listID=181

or here:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/celebration-rock/id527058833

No comments:

Post a Comment